What Role Does Estrogen Play In Males
Traditionally, testosterone and estrogen have been considered to be male and female sex hormones, respectively. However, estradiol, the predominant form of estrogen, also plays a critical role in male sexual function. Estradiol in men is essential for modulating libido, erectile function, and spermatogenesis.
Estrogen receptors, as well as aromatase, the enzyme that converts testosterone to estrogen, are abundant in brain, penis, and testis, organs important for sexual function. In the brain, estradiol synthesis is increased in areas related to sexual arousal. In addition, in the penis, estrogen receptors are found throughout the corpus cavernosum with high concentration around neurovascular bundles.
High Estrogen Symptoms in Males
- Erectile Dysfunction (ED)
- Stunted growth during puberty
- Water retention
- Mood swings
- Easily gain fat
- Loss of lean muscle mass
How To Check Your Estrogen Levels
If you think you may be suffering from high estrogen levels the only way to be absolutely certain is with a simple blood test. You can go to your doctor to get a prescription for blood work or you can order one online if it’s available in your state. The test you’re looking for is called estradiol and results come back within a few days. Making sure that your hormones are in balance is extremely important for your mental and physical health.
I would encourage everyone to get full blood work done twice a year. These tests should give you a pretty good idea of your overall health:
- Comprehensive Metabolic Panel with CBC
- Lipid Panel
- Thyroid Free T3
- Testosterone Total
- Testosterone Free
The Risks Of High Estrogen If Left Untreated
Estrogen plays a critical role in a lot of the biological functions in the male body. If high estrogen is left untreated this could lead to a pretty miserable experience for the individual. Having high levels of estrogen can cause serious issues with mental health and relationships since it has a direct effect on libido, erectile dysfunction, anxiety and depression.
High estrogen levels are also linked to higher chances of developing breast cancer in males, an international research collaboration participated in by Cancer Research UK reveals. Although the risks are low in the first place, men with the highest levels of estrogen are 2 ½ times more likely to develop breast cancer than those at the bottom of this scale.
Natural Ways To Lower Estrogen
- Exercise and Nutrition: Lower body fat by exercising and eating a nutritious diet.
- Wild nettle root: Nettle root or nettle leaves are often used to make prostate medication. Nettles contain compounds that act as natural estrogen blockers. Taking supplements can regulate production of the hormone.
- Chrysin: This flavonoid is found in passionflower, honey, and bee propolis. Proponents argue that it blocks estrogen and increases testosterone, and others claim that there’s no evidence.
- Maca: Maca is a cruciferous plant that originates in Peru. Proponents say it has a host of benefits, including enhancing fertility and blocking estrogen in men. Although macaTrusted Source does contain many vitamins and nutrients, there’s little scientific evidence that it plays a role in regulating hormones.
- Grape seed extract: This extract has been shown to act as an aromatase inhibitor, or estrogen blocker, in postmenopausal women at high risk for breast cancer. Men may experience similar benefits when taking it as a supplement.
- DIM: DIM is a phytonutrient (plant nutrient) found in cruciferous vegetables. These include cabbage, broccoli, bok choy, Brussels sprouts, cauliflower, kale, kohlrabi, mustard, rutabaga, and turnip. Supplementing with DIM specifically promotes beneficial estrogen metabolism and helps restore a healthy hormonal balance.
Medications Used To Lower Estrogen
Selective Estrogen Receptor Modulators (SERMs)
Selective estrogen receptor modulators, called SERMs for short, block the effects of estrogen in the breast tissue. SERMs work by sitting in the estrogen receptors in breast cells. If a SERM is in the estrogen receptor, there is no room for estrogen and it can’t attach to the cell.
There are three SERMs:
- Tamoxifen in pill form (also called tamoxifen citrate; brand name: Nolvadex) and in liquid form (brand name: Soltamox)
- Evista (chemical name: raloxifene)
- Fareston (chemical name: toremifene)
Aromatase Inhibitors (AI’s)
Aromatase inhibitors stop the production of estrogen in men and women. Aromatase inhibitors work by blocking the enzyme aromatase, which turns the hormone androgen into small amounts of estrogen in the body.
There are three Aromatase Inhibitors:
- Arimidex (chemical name: anastrozole)
- Aromasin (chemical name: exemestane)
- Femara (chemical name: letrozole)
Estrogen plays a critical role in your overall health and well being. If you think you might suffer from high estrogen levels it’s best to get blood work done to be sure. You can get a prescription from your doctor or order one online and get results back within a few days. Making sure that your hormones are in balance is extremely important. Correcting any hormonal imbalances can have a high impact on your general health and overall well being.
Leave A Comment